Johnson Grads, Faculty,
and Industry Leaders
Get Started Today!

Transfer of Credit Policy

Coursework previously completed at another institution or through the Prior Learning Assessment process will be evaluated relative to its equivalency to Johnson College courses and to the specific major.  The appropriate Department Chairperson and the Registrar will make final decisions on acceptance of such coursework. Students who wish to transfer courses must follow the procedures below:

  1. Student is encouraged to submit all college transcripts during Inquiry/Applicant stage (Sr. Enrollment and Transfer Student Specialist)
  2. Once official college transcript is received, final official copy gets placed in the students file and a copy is given to Sr. Enrollment and Transfer Student Specialist, Financial Aid, and Coordinator of Student Success for Academics for review.
  3. Enrollment and Transfer Student Specialist sends a weekly email to Registrar and Coordinator of Student Success for Academics of new transfer student applications and accepted students.
  4. A bi-weekly meeting is held with the Sr. Enrollment and Transfer Student Specialist and Coordinator of Student Success for Academics to review new transcripts.
  5. With this information Coordinator of Student Success for Academics begins to processes the evaluation with copy of college transcript.
  6. Official review of syllabus course description is awarded by Registrar
  7. If requested by the Registrar’s Office provide course descriptions, course syllabus or a catalog
  8. (Please see attached handouts) is sent directly to the transfer student.  The letter is generated by the Sr. Enrollment and Transfer student specialist and the evaluation by the Coordinator of Student Success for Academics.
  9. The letter and evaluation will be awarded and sent to the transfer student within 2 weeks of acceptance date.
  10. Any new Colleges/College courses awarded will be updated in the Johnson College Equivalent Courses & Credits binder after awarded by Registrar. (Coordinator of Student Success for Academics)
  11. An August 1st deadline will be enforced for all accepted students to have college transcripts submitted for review.

The College accepts a maximum of 30 credits from another institution. Of the remaining credits required for graduation, a minimum of 35 must be completed at Johnson College.

Only courses completed with a grade of “C” or higher will be considered for transfer credit. (Credit requested under PLA format may require an equivalent grade of “B” or higher.)

Radiologic Technology courses are not typically granted transfer credit. The Department Chair and Clinical Coordinator may grant exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Only courses completed with a grade of C+ or better will be considered for transfer credit.

Transfer credit will appear on the student’s transcript but only credits from Johnson College will be used in computing the student’s Grade Point Average (GPA) and eligibility for academic honors. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all courses have been evaluated prior to registration to avoid duplication of courses.

Coursework completed within the past five years will be evaluated according to current standards. Coursework completed more than five years ago will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by the Sr. Director of Academics, Registrar and the appropriate Department Chairperson.

Once enrolled at Johnson College, students may transfer no more than six additional credits, without receiving prior approval, based upon a demonstrated hardship, from the Registrar’s Office. Enrolled students must also receive approval for Off-Campus study.

Approval for Off-Campus Study
Johnson College will accept credits from other institutions for courses taken by a current student provided the student receives approval from the appropriate Department Chairperson prior to registering for the course and completes the necessary paperwork. The student also must provide the Johnson College Registrar with an official transcript verifying a grade of “C” or higher upon completion of the course. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that these transcripts are forwarded to the Registrar. Approval forms may be obtained through the Registrar’s Office or under the “Forms – Approval for Off-Campus Study” option on the Registrar’s webpage.


To request further information on your program(s) of interest please click the button above to continue to our information request form.

Johnson College | 3427 N. Main Avenue | Scranton, PA 18508 | Visit Us
Toll Free: 1-800-2-WE-WORK (1-800-293-9675)
© 2018 Johnson College

Johnson College promotes a campus environment emphasizing the dignity and worth of all students, staff, and visitors that is free of discrimination. Johnson College does not discriminate against an individual’s age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation, or any other legally protected class in admission, treatment, access to, or employment in its programs or activities. For questions or concerns regarding Title IX, please contact the Senior Director of Organizational Development. For questions or concerns regarding Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, please contact the Counselor/Manager of Disability Services.