The official name of this organization shall be called, “Johnson College Alumni Association”.
The purposes of the Johnson College Alumni Association are:
- to promote the advancement of the College by enlisting the support and participation of all of the College’s Alumni,
- to promote the advancement of the College by keeping the College aware of current and future community and industry needs,
- to bring alumni together and all times maintain an avenue by which the Alumni may remain in contact with the College,
- to communicate information concerning the College, including activities and achievements to alumni,
- to promote and support fund raising that is consistent with the mission of the College,
- to assist in bringing qualified students of high promise to the College as students,
- to welcome each new graduating class, encouraging a lifelong commitment to Johnson College upon graduation into the Golden Alumni years and beyond,
- to offer opportunities for alumni to network with each other, students and the Johnson College community.
Section 1: Membership of the Alumni Association
- All graduates and former students of Johnson College, Johnson Technical Institute, Johnson School of Technology, and the Johnson Trade School shall be considered members of the Alumni Association.
- Honorary members of the Johnson College Alumni Association will be considered and approved by the Alumni Council. An honorary member cannot hold an office position.
Officers of the Association Council
Section 1: Council Officers
There shall be, in order of succession, a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer. Alumni Council members shall consist of the above Council Officers, the Chair of each of the individual committees, at least two (2) at large members, and when applicable, a Past-President.
Section 2: Duties of Officers
- President: The President shall preside at all Alumni Council meetings. The President shall be a member, ex officio, of all committees. The President shall appoint all committee chairpersons or direct a method for their selection. The President shall perform such duties as the by-laws may require, including the following duties: creation of the agenda for each Alumni Association and Alumni Council meeting, provision of leadership in the recruitment of alumni participation, and representation of the Alumni Association.
- Vice President: The Vice President shall perform the duties of the President in the absence, temporary inability, or resignation of the President, and other such duties the President may from time to time designate. He/She shall supervise and coordinate the work of all standing committees as needed, and shall recommend to the President individuals for selection as chairpersons and committee representatives for all standing committees.
- Treasurer: The treasurer shall work with the Office of Institutional Advancement to report on the financial status of the Alumni Association accounts maintained by the College. All Johnson College Alumni Association financial accounts will be held at the College.
- Secretary: The secretary shall be responsible for recording the minutes of the proceedings of the Alumni Association and of the Alumni Council meetings. He/She shall submit a draft of the minutes of all Alumni Council meetings to the Coordinator of Institutional Advancement for distribution to the Alumni Council. Furthermore, all Alumni Council and Alumni Association meeting minutes shall be posted on the
Johnson College website for all members to peruse.
- Past-President: When a new President is elected, the Past-President shall serve in an advisory capacity, an ex-officio officer of the Association for the next coming term.
Section 3: Nominations and Terms of Office
- Officers shall be nominated by a member of the Alumni Council during the August Alumni Council meeting. The Alumni Council members will proceed to vote during that said meeting. Anyone nominated for Council Office must be present to be considered for nomination.
- The installation of the new Council Officers shall take place at the Alumni Association Annual Meeting in December. The officers of the Alumni Council shall serve two-year terms beginning January 1st.
- No officer shall serve more than two (2) consecutive two (2) year term in the same office, but shall not be barred from election to a different office. No person shall hold more than one (1) office at a time. This limitation shall not be applied retroactively, but shall only apply to terms begun after the adoption of this Section.
- The Council will determine the staggering of the terms of office.—Get feedback from Council members at next meeting
Section 4: Replacement of Officers
In the event of the resignation, dismissal, or death of any officer, it shall be filled by a majority vote of the Alumni Council. Any replacement officer so appointed shall serve out the remaining term of office.
Section 1: Regular Meetings
- The meeting of the Alumni Council shall be convened at the call of the President.
- The Alumni Council shall be convened quarterly at the call of the President. Additional meetings shall be called at the discretion of the President, the Office of Institutional Advancement or by a majority of the Alumni Council.
- When possible, agendas for all meetings shall be forwarded by the Office of Institutional Advancement not less than seven (7) days prior to the meeting date. Such notices shall include the date, time and place of the meeting and the full meeting agenda.
- Quorum for each meeting will consist of the majority of the Alumni Council.
Section 2: Order of Business
- Agenda will be set by the Office of Institutional Advancement with review by the
President and shall include but not be limited to:
- Call to Order
- Review and approval of previous meeting minutes
- Treasurer’s Report
- Staff Updates
- Committee Updates
- New Business
Section 3: Voting
- All motions that are to be voted on during an Alumni Council meeting must be submitted to the Council President or the Office of Institutional Advancement no later than one week prior to the meeting to be placed on the Council meeting agenda.
Section 1: Appointments
- All Committee chairpersons shall be appointed by the President. The President, Vice President and select members of the Office of Institutional Advancement will select a slate of nominations. The President will then make a recommendation to the Alumni Council to vote on.
- Committee members shall then be selected by the respective chairpersons. It shall be understood that Committee Chairpersons and members may serve for periods longer than two (2) years, at the discretion of the incoming President.
Section 2: Standing Committees
The standing committees shall be:
- Public Relations and Marketing Committee—The Public Relations and Marketing Committee shall be responsible for assisting in the development of concepts, logos, strategies, programs, and activities that promote the Johnson College Alumni Association.
- Events Committee—The Events Committee shall be responsible for helping the Office of Institutional Advancement plan, communicate and execute events involving alumni on and off campus.
- Golden Alumni Society Committee—The Golden Alumni Society Committee shall be responsible for designing and implementing opportunities for Golden Alumni (those graduated at least 50 years ago) to communicate, network and socialize through special events and programs on and off campus, including the annual Golden Alumni Society Induction Ceremony. The committee will encourage involvement and engagement of all Golden Alumni.
- Young Alum Committee—The Young Alum Committee shall be responsible for designing and implementing opportunities for young alumni (those graduated no more than 10 years ago) to communicate, network and socialize through special events and programs on and off campus. The committee will encourage involvement and engagement of all Young Alumni.
- Other Committees— The Alumni Council may create those committees required to carry out the purposes of the Alumni Association.
Section 1: Procedure for By-Law Amendments
The By-laws may be amended at an Alumni Council Meeting or any special meeting called for that purpose, by a majority of those present at such meetings, provided that written notice of said meeting shall have been mailed to the active members at least fifteen (15) days prior to date of said meeting, which notice shall include the proposed amendment.
Section 2: Voting on Proposed By-Law Amendment
Adoption of the proposed amendment shall require a majority vote of the members present and voting.